The Eagle Alliance needs YOU!
It is no secret that public schools in Georgia are dangerously underfunded.
As hard as it is to believe, Heards Ferry Elementary receives only enough money from Fulton County to pay our incredible teachers and staff, to keep our school clean, and for basic academic programming.
No other programs, activities or events are funded by your tax dollars!
It costs an average of more than $225 per student over and above this budget to run our school. This is why we ask for parents to contribute $225 per child to the Eagle Alliance every school year.
Here are several compelling reasons to join the Eagle Alliance
- To provide necessary academic programs and other initiatives - including the science lab and school-wide reading, writing, and math programs - it requires a minimum of $150,000 per year ABOVE the budget we receive from Fulton County (roughly $225 per child). Schools that receive Title I funding (based on the percentage of students that receive free and reduced lunch) can afford these programs. In fact, some schools of similar size in the area receive in excess of $300,000 per year in Title I funding; Heards Ferry receives no such funding because of our population. If that support doesn't come from the community, critical learning initiatives have to be cut.
- HFE and the Eagle Alliance work together as we continue our IB (International Baccalaureate) journey. Heards Ferry has been accepted as an IB World School for the PYP (primary years program). IB Schools are schools that share a common philosophy- a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education that Heards Ferry Elementary School believes is important for our students. The Eagle Alliance has been and will continue to be an important partner with the administration and teachers as we continue on this journey.
- A thriving public school enhances the community. Not only is it good for the morale and community spirit, it is a significant driver of home values. Based on Heards Ferry's sterling reputation, young families across the metro Atlanta region seek to find homes in this district. Without proper funding from the community, the school could no longer afford to provide the same educational benefits to our children of Sandy Springs.
- We're all in this together. With our stellar team of administrators and teachers leading our school, we are poised for tremendous growth both in numbers and achievement. But if we can't pull together to fund our current programs AND prepare for additional needs in the future, the path becomes less clear.
As you can see, your support is vital to the strong community Heards Ferry has helped establish. With your support, we can maintain the high level of academic achievement Heards Ferry students have enjoyed – and reach even higher.
We are asking for a minimum donation of $225 per student; less than the actual cost of supplementing the budget provided by Fulton County.
- We've listened to your feedback and we have simplified the "ask". We have simplified the fundraising events down to a few per year and if we can match our performance of last year we will not have the need to bring back any of the fundraisers like fun runs or selling wrapping paper.
While some might question the amount, it is the true cost of the programs our children need on a daily basis. We write similar checks for youth sports, music lessons, dance, monthly gym memberships and/or many other after-school activities; it’s time to invest in our children’s education.
On behalf of the families of Heards Ferry and the greater Sandy Springs community, thank you for doing your part to ensure a bright future for our children.
If you're ready to join, click HERE.
HFE is an International Baccalaureate World School
The mission of an IB school is to develop responsible citizens in a global community by developing inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better, more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. Click here for more information.